Most of the decisions I make are designed to make me feel like I'm in an interesting person. That I, were I acquaintances with myself, would want to know me better. It's the secret to my self-confidence: "Hell yeah, I'd want to know me." Why do I ride a motorcycle? Because I feel like a badass on one. Why do I do stage combat, mud shows, pirate festivals, etc? Because it's a lot more interesting to me than getting 100% completion on a video game.
The other driving force in my life is my "I could do that / I could do that better" bad habit, but that's neither here nor there.
So when I read my friends' blog and saw the article they wrote about learning how, as women, to shave with a straight razor, I was intrigued. Shave with a straight razor? That symbol of manliness from the days of yore? Goodness yes. There's little to me that screams "I am a hell of a woman" more than hijacking men's tools and symbols. Apropos of this, I look GREAT in a three piece suit. In addition to all that, I've always been searching for something better than safety razors. I'm cheap only in the "repetitive expense" way. I don't mind investing a hundred dollars or more in the accoutrements for straight razor shaving, but I balk at throwing away a safety razor before I've worn it down to the nub.
Last night, I ran a lovely hot bath, soaked for a bit while sharpening my blade on the whetstone (lovely *shhing* sound), then sat on the edge and commenced. I shaved my legs, arms, and armpits. My knees are VERY patchy, I'm sure, and my armpits were terrifying. Especially on the right side. I'm not ambidextrous. I could get the arms well enough, but it will take a lot more practice to feel confident on the pits. Those, I may have to occasionally bic again to tide me over.
In all, the experience was exactly what I desired. A+, would commit again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave your mark.